Pages

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

TUTORIAL TUESDAY: Sewing Machine Pincushion

This weeks tutorial is for a pincushion that wraps around your sewing machine. That way you always have pins at your fingertips. I have several regular pincushions that I move around the sewing room while I'm working and it never fails when I need one at the machine my pincushion is not around. This solves that problem! I was browsing pincushions one day and seen this wrap around pincushion by Martha Stewart which gave me the idea for this one...I kind of think mine is a little more stylish. ;)

These would make great Christmas gifts! You could even make one to wear on your wrist if you like. Quick and easy (and cheap! ;) stocking stuffers!

Mine


Martha's


I started with two 2" pieces of fabric and a piece of stretch lace. Measure around your machine where the cushion will go to see how long to cut it. Be sure to figure in the length of the cushion which is about 6". Don't worry about it being too tight, your machine won't feel it. ;)


you will also need a tuft of cotton batting


now put the two pieces of fabric together with right sides facing each other and the elastic in the middle like this...


sew that end and the two long ends leaving one end open where the elastic is sticking out




snip the corners off be careful not to cut the thread


start turning it right side out by pulling the elastic




I like to iron everything real crisp but I don't think it would matter with this


now start stuffing it with the cotton batting......I used a knitting needle to pack it in...



now poke the other end of the elastic into the open end, turn the edges down and pin it


sew it down (take the pin out first)


the finished product


to put it on your machine take the thread off first guide it under your needle and over the top and down the side


there are several ways you can "wear" your pincushion...it doesn't bother me at all when I'm sewing...






Thanks for looking!
Pin It!

6 comments: