Pages

Friday, July 15, 2011

Knit Tee Skirt {Tutorial}

Ok, let me be honest here and tell you that my little delicate angel is a monster on clothes. It could be that she is a go getter and pays no attention to her surroundings or it could be that she is somewhat clumsy. Whatever the reason, she is worse on clothes than my two boys put together. They could paint and not get a spot on their clothes, she walks thru the kitchen and comes out with a stain. So with that in mind you can imagine that I have no desire to buy new clothes for her to play in nor spend a lot of time making her clothes so I did a little brainstorming on affordable cheap play clothes, specifically skirts. She loves knit but it's so expensive and such a pain to sew so I went to the thrift shop and bought a stack of t-shirts for 2/$1 and 4/$1. Yeah! Below is a tutorial on how to make a simple little knit skirt with you only having to sew ONE seam!

Stack of shirts:


I used a rotary cutter to cut it off under the sleeves but you can use scissors. Just measure your child from the waist to whatever length you want. Be sure to include enough for the elastic casing.


using your elastic as a guide for how wide a casing to make, turn over and sew down leaving a small opening to thread the elastic thru...(yeah my thread doesn't match)


using a safety pin, thread elastic thru (measure your child's waist first to see how long of a piece of elastic to cut, add 1-2" for sewing the elastic together) and sew ends together then sew opening shut.


TADA! Your skirt!.....


Pin It!

5 comments: