Pages

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Tutorial Thursday: Lace boot cuffs

Ok, so we've all seen the boot socks going around Pinterest and there is a pair where the lady sewed lace to the top of a pair of socks and I loved it except that I didn't want to mess up a good pair of socks in case I didn't like how they turned out so this is my version. I made a lace boot cuff that just allows the lace to stick out the top of the boots. The options are endless on these and you just wear them over the top of your socks or tights to fancy them up.



Supplies Needed:

Fleece
Lace
Velcro (optional)

Sewing machine or fabric glue



then you will need to measure around your calf and add about an inch or two....I made mine 5" wide x the circumference of my leg. (Which was way too big and had to be cut down from the size shown in this picture) In the future I will cut them at an angle like I've marked in the picture (see yellow lines)...


Now you will need to cut your lace, I cut it a little bit longer than the fleece so it would ruffle a little bit. If your lace is pre-ruffled or if you want it flat cut the lace the same length as the fleece. Cut two 3" strips of velcro as well.


If don't want the lace ruffled, skip this step. Sew a basting stitch at the top of the lace (the longest stitch=biggest number)


now, I didn't even have to pull a thread to ruffle it, it ruffled on its own as I sewed it. If it doesn't you will need to pull one of the threads to ruffle the lace...


then pin the lace on the fleece like this...or if you're using fabric glue turn the lace the other way (pointing up) and glue it down...


sew it down...


here I folded the lace up (yes that is chalkboard paint on my hand) and sew it down...



next you'll sew the velcro on the edges...I sewed mine vertically but it might be best to sew it horizontally so you can adjust the tightness better.....or you can skip the velcro step all together and just sew it shut....



and this is what they will look like on your leg and why it would be best to taper the fleece....


and with boots on! Lovely! Love it? Pin it!


Pin It!

2 comments: