Pages

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Fruit Fly trap

Ok, I'm going to put myself out there by sharing this because its a little bit embarrassing. I know that I'm not the only one that has a problem with them from time to time. I only get them when I buy fruit. They are so disgusting! I tried to find the article I read on them that said they like to lay their eggs in sink drains and on wet rags and sponges. So every night dispose of all moist rags/sponges and pour bleach down the sinks. I tried several of the traps but found this one to be the most effective. I normally do this in a gallon zip lock bag leaving just a inch unzipped and lay it on its side. You may have to use a tooth pick to prop the hole open. Put some fruit in the bag or bottle and watch the fruit flies swarm to it. After a hour or so zip it up and toss it or take it out and turn them loose and reset the trap. You won't catch them all the first time, it takes me about 3-4 times to get them all. This time I used the water bottle but they could fly right back out real easy so I put a piece of plastic wrap over the opening and poked a hole in it. When you get some in there put the lid on, take it out and let them loose.

Good luck!
Pin It!

3 comments: