Pages

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Jute/Twine Globe

Ok, so I'm sure you've seen these twine globe/lights on Pinterest? Well, when we built our house 8 years ago the light over the table had a shade broken (when we bought it) and though we talked to them about it at Lowes and they took our name and number we never heard from them again. So I took the shade off the light over the sink since it was the same and put it over the table. Now I had this bare light over the sink. When I seen these twine globes on Pinterest I knew I had to try it for that light over the sink. I loved it so much and hated the light over the table so much I decided to try it supersized! Hubby decided to switch all the light bulbs in the house to those ugly corkscrew bulbs so my hate for that light increased. It ruined my pictures! So to save you the time of figuring out where and how much to buy (if you wanted to try it BIG) I decided to share how I did it here.

Over the sink..


Over the table...this thing is HUGE!


Ok, here's the supply list.

Jute (900 yards) from Hobby Lobby $16.99 (use your 40% coupon for this)
Alieens Tacky glue. I used a big bottle and a small bottle. The big one was around $5.49 and the small one $2.49 (no it doesn't have to be the clear kind either, the original works fine)
Inflatable ball from ToysrUs for $8.99. Its a 22" ball
Bowls for the glue and to hold the ball

Ok, first thing you need to do is blow up the ball. It came with a pump but I took it out to the air compressor and had it blown up in minutes. Then you need a small bowl to pour the glue in and a bowl to set the ball on while you prep the jute. Pour the glue in the bowl then you will pull a bunch of jute out in a pile. Dip your fingertips in the glue (yes this is a very nasty job) and start pulling the twine/jute thru your hands making sure to coat it good with glue. It doesn't have to be totally soaked it just needs to have glue on it. Now for the small globe, the tutorial I read said to draw a circle on the ball and make sure not to wrap twine on the circle. I knew that I wanted to fit this globe over my existing light so I didn't leave a hole (I had to cut it, I'll tell you later). After you coat a pile of string with glue, start wrapping the ball (the fun part) making sure to distribute it evenly. After you get your wet pile wrapped set the ball on the large ball and coat some more string with glue. I hate to tell you this but it will take around an hour or more to wrap this big ball. After you get it totally wrapped (how much is up to you but you want enough so it will be stable) you have to let it dry. That is the hardest part! I let mine dry for about a day and a half. When its dry pull the plug on the ball and let it deflate. It will sound funny as it pulls away from the twine. This was the hardest part for me. The only way to get the ball out and to get it over my light was to cut it. Starting at what I designated as the top I started cutting thru the twine. I had to cut it almost from the top to the bottom. Remove the ball. You will also need to remove the shades off of your light. Being very gentle with it I pushed one side in and started working it over each light (sorry I wasn't able to get a pic of this as I was quite busy ;). After I got it over my light I had a big ugly cut down the side of my globe. To fix that I took short pieces of twine (and hot glue) and tied it back together. Since you can't walk all the way around our table I just turned that side to the wall. I'm am SOOO in love with this light!! Oh and guess what? I had enough twine/jute left for another project! I'll show you that one next!

Have fun!

The light before:

The ball:

The jute/twine:

this is how much jute I had left:

light with shades removed:

applying the glue:



Deflating the ball:

the cut:

pull the ball out:

in place with the cut open:


Tied up: (see the knots)


Finished!



Pin It!

2 comments: