Pages

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Wild Edibles Series: Dandelion


Have you ever thought about what you might eat should you run out of food or find yourself in an emergency? I have and I believe that arming your self with knowledge takes the fear out of many situations. I like to be prepared for whatever might come my way. I don't see good things ahead for our country, I'm sad to say. So I'm starting this series on wild edibles so maybe it will help me/us be a little more prepare, just in case.

I am always surprised to find that many of the things we see everyday are things the Indian's ate for their meals. One of those was dandelions. I do remember hearing that they were edible but I never researched it. Boy, talk about lots of free food! We have plenty of them around here!

"Dandelions are great sources of Beta-carotene and vitamin A and are high in fiber, potassium, iorn, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and the B vitamins, thiamine and riboflavin and are even filled with protein." (majorpreppers.com) Wow, amazing huh?!

Looking for recipes?

Here is a FREE PDF cookbook of dandelion recipes!


Here is another site for making dandelion wine, jelly, syrup and more!
                                                                   (photo from Tipnut)

How bout some dandelion sorbet?  You can find the recipe here.
                                                      (photo from Paper Tuesday Blog)

Or maybe some dandelion fritters? Recipe here!
                                                     (Photo from The Herbwife's Kitchen)

And of course a whole host of recipes can be found by search Pinterest...or you can just click here to view them.


 
So what do you think? Have you tried them? Have any recipes to share? I'd love to hear from you!



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment