Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Deer {Venison} Roast

Ok, so I was browsing Pinterest looking for some new recipes for deer and wow, there isn't any! So since 80% of our meat diet is deer I thought I'd start sharing how I cook it.


Side note: if you process your own deer (and probably if you have someone else do it) you are required to put the number of the deer tag on the package of meat. I've heard that the authorities have the ability to search your freezers and confiscate and fine you if it's not.......I'm assuming that's their way of dealing with poaching.

Deer Roast
For this crockpot of roast I had to use two bags of deer ham or roast, whatever you want to call it. The muscle on deer are much smaller than that of a pig or cow so it takes more to get the same amount of meat.

Ingredients

Deer Roast(s)
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2-3/4 cup Allegro Game Tame
1/8 cup Liquid smoke (not shown)
2tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
 


Place the roasts in the crockpot, pour the liquids over them, making sure to coat the meat with it. Then sprinkle the salt and pepper over all of the meat. You may have to add a cup of water but there should only be about 2-3" of liquid in the bottom of the crockpot. I don't like to put a lot of water in a roast because it will make it's own juice which is much more flavorful.



then cook on medium for about 8 hours depending on how big the roasts are

if it's not falling apart, cook it longer. I sometimes cook it all day and over night on low.

Enjoy!

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment